Monday, June 19, 2006

what a cute little...boy??

An old picture, but I needed it for my story. This is the outfit that I had Ava in today when I went to run some errands with her. Ava usually attracts some amount of attention when we go out, and the thought had crossed my mind that this outfit is a little...less girly than her other stuff, but it's still cute. Well, at our first stop, the post office, I was in line and the woman behind me was checking Ava out, and I could feel it coming: "HE is so cute!" And I responded "Thanks, HE'S a good baby!" I didn't even bother correcting her! She then asked me how old HE was, and I told her that HE was 5 months. I walked out of there feeling pretty bad about what I'd done, but I would never see this person again, and so what if we used HE instead of SHE? But we still had one more stop to make, and it gets worse...
So we're at Publix, and we get in line at the check out. It's my turn up and wouldn't you know that I got in the line with what sounded like the most talkative cashier/bagger combo in the place. Here it comes again - "HE looks so content!" "Thanks", I said, hoping they would leave it at that. But they didn't. The bagger went on and on about HIM, asking questions about HIM, and I just went along with it and felt awful. Ava was lying there so innocently, not knowing that everyone thought she was a little boy and not the cute little girl that she is, and it was my fault. I dressed her in a blue outfit, her infant carrier is mostly blue, she had a male pattern baldness thing going on with her hair... All I could think was I hope this isn't why people have sex change operations and gender identity issues.

More pictures will be posted soon...

No comments: